Vegan Cream of Asparagus Soup
Hello & Happy Monday!!
If you know me, you know I’m all about the soups for countless reasons. They pack nutrient, flavor, you can mimic heavy cream with cashews, and it’s a great way to salvage veggies that are about to kick the bucket. I try to gravitate away from any waste, so soups are my go to. This asparagus soup is one that I did last year and I couldn’t wait to revisit this concept again to capture new images, because it came out that good and it’s made with only 7 ingredients!!
While I love many green foods, I was initially nervous as to what this soup would taste like. Not only could the color be somewhat off-putting for even veggie enthusiasts, but I questioned what it would taste like. I’m a huge fan of roasted or steamed asparagus, but creamed up in a soup, I wasn’t so sure. However, this is the kind of thinking that made me wait so long to try it and I was kicking myself after the first taste, because.. it’s unbelievably good and has little to no ingredients. If you’re in a bind for time or ingredients this recipe can work for you!!
It’s less than 10 ingredients and takes perhaps less than 20 minutes to throw together. You CAN’T beat that. I’m a huge fan of soups, but to be honest, they contain a lot more ingrains and have more steps, so again, you just can’t top this recipe in terms of those components with the flavor you achieve.
What’s fab about this recipe, is truly everything. It’s a handful of staple ingredients, quick easy, creamy, cheesy, has a gorgeous color, perf for spring, can easily be made in bulk, perf for spring entertaining, packs tons of veggies, healthy fats, flavor, and is so good I could literally eat it in the burning hot sun lol.
If you love all things asparagus, this vegan Cream of Asparagus Soup will be you dream recipe!! It’s a must try!!
Why this recipe is great:
Perf for spring
Eat Drink Shrink
Serves 2-4 servings
15 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 2 tbsps vegan butter
- 1 medium size yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lb. asparagus, ends trimmed, cut into 1" pieces (2 bundles)
- 4 cups. vegetable broth
- 1 heaping cup soaked cashews, soak overnight or boil for 10 minutes
- 2 handfuls spinach
- Salt/Black Pepper as needed
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- In a heavy pot over medium heat, melt the vegan butter. Add the onion and cook for 4-5 minutes on low/med heat.
- Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add asparagus, season with salt and pepper, and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add broth and and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, and cook until asparagus is very tender but still green, 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a blender add the cashews, asparagus soup, and spinach, blend until smooth. You can add more spinach to achieve desired color. Return to pot and warm over low heat.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with more black pepper and coconut milk. (optional)