Vegan Crab Cakes with Remoulade Sauce
Hello & Happy Monday!!
I never had an affinity for chicken, red meat, pork, etc, but I loved seafood! If you’ve been in the plant based world for a minute I’m sure you quickly realized that it can be hard to replicate fish. There are some faux products on the market that are reminiscent of fish, but I prefer to make everything I can from scratch.
Luckily, chickpeas and artichokes can take on a natural “fishy” type flavor and the make for the perfect faux tuna salad. With that in mind I decided to explore a vegan crab cake concept. I’ve seen a few here and there. Either they were completely deep fried, which I try to avoid or they seemed too dry..
Until the Eat Drink Shrink Crab Cake was born in 2016!
What I love about this recipe is, everything! It packs the same texture and flavor as that of a real crab cake, has the same aesthetic appeal, more nutrient dense, filling, not deep fried, crispy, the sauce can be paired with other recipes, it’s affordable, can be thrown on some buns to create a burger, is perf for bite size patties while entertaining, non vegan approved, and is hands down one of my new recipe obsessions!
If you long for crab cakes, skip the store bought vegan option and opt for these homemade Crab Cakes! You won’t regret it!
Why this is great:
Doesn’t fall apart
Mirrors the texture of real crab
Great aesthetic appeal
Non vegan approved
Sauce can be used for other dishes
Can easily be made in bulk
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 3 to 4 crab cakes
15 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 14oz can artichokes in water, drained, finely chopped
- 1 cup chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 1 large shallot, finely copped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 tbsp horseradish, drained
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3/4 cup chickpea flour or oat flour
- 1 tsp old bay seasoning
- 3 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 3/4 cup panko
- 2 tbsp vegan mayo
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp vegan Worcestershire
- Salt + Pepper as needed
- Oil as needed
- 1/3 cup vegan mayo
- 1/3 cup dijon
- 2 tbsp capers
- 2-3 tbsp fresh dill
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp relish
- 1/2 tsp Old Bay
- 1 tsp vegan Worcestershire
- 1 tbsp minced celery
- Finely chop the artichokes, celery, and shallot. In a large mixing bowl combine the remaining crab cake ingredients. Form patties.
- Coat a pan with olive oil. Cook the crab cakes over low/medium heat.
- Cook for 3/5 minutes until crispy and golden brown.
- Remove the cakes from the pan and place onto a plate covered with paper towel to absorb any excess oil. Serve immediately with remoulade sauce.
- Sauce: In a small mixing bowl stir together all the ingredients until well combined. Refrigerate until ready to serve the crab cakes. To plate garnish with the sauce and dill if desired.