Vegan New England Clam Chowder
Hello & Happy Thursday!!
I’ve been on a mission in 2020 to check off as many bucket list recipes that I can. Over the years there has been a proliferation of vegan recipes, but there still are a few that you don’t see..
One of them is a vegan Clam Chowder!!
I’ll be honest, I enjoyed traditional Lobster Bisque more than this type of soup, but the vegan versions were both really good! Typical clam chowder is heavy on the cream, but you can easily sub out heavy cream for cashew cream, pack on the veggies and skip the “clams” altogether. Taking this approach creates a nutrient packed recipe that’s more filling from the protein in the cashews!
Whats wonderful about this soup is everything! It’s quick, easy, features the same components as the traditional recipe, uses cashew cream versus heavy cream, packs on the veggies, uses staple ingredients, packed with flavor, perfect for any season, can easily be made in bulk, has a natural seaweed flavor, and is guaranteed to impress even the non vegans!!
If you crave this soup or love fresh modern vegan recipes, you’re going to love this new vegan New England Clam Chowder Soup!!
Why this recipe is great:
Packed with veggies
Packed with flavor
Perf for any season!
Has a rich seafood flavor
Eat Drink Shrink
15 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 1 cup cashews soaked in hot water, then drained
- 3 medium Russet potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced into thin rings or half rings
- 2 celery stalks, diced into 1/4 pieces
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 tsp Old Bay
- 1/3 cup white wine, optional
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp Tobasco
- 1 large sheet of seaweed, more if desired
- 1 1/2 tsp vegan worchestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp dry thyme
- Salt/Pepper as desired
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- In the soup pot add the broth and seaweed. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer (5 minutes). Remove from the pot and set aside. After 10 minutes remove the seaweed.
- Rinse and drain the soaked cashews, and add them to a blender with the almond milk. Blend until smooth. set aside.
- In a soup pot, heat the vegan butter over medium-low heat. Add the finely chopped onion, carrots, celery, and stir well. Cook until both are softened and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add the white wine, cook for 3-5 minutes and reduce.
- Add the salt, ground black pepper, Old Bay, vegan Worcestershire, thyme, and diced potatoes. Cook for about 2-3 more minutes, stirring frequently.
- Now Add all of the vegetable broth, bay leaf, and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce to a simmer.
- Continue to cook until the potatoes are tender, about 15 more minutes. Stir in the cashew cream mixture, and simmer until hot. Remove the bay leaf and serve hot.
If the soup begins to thicken once cooled simply add more almond milk or broth to achieve desired consistency