Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Cauliflower Rice Casserole
Hello & Happy Monday!!
The new year brings new recipes and healthier concepts! Since the beginning of time, carbs have gotten a bad rap. However, there’s a big difference between good carbs (complex) and bad carbs (refined) and at the end of the day, it’s all about portions.
One of my favorite carb swaps is cauliflower rice for the traditional white rice! I find that it’s faster, easier to work with, and the options are endless in terms of the flavors you can create. To date I’ve done everything from an Italian Cauliflower Rice to a Mexican Cauliflower Rice, Fried Rice and more. While I don’t avoid carbs, I personally love to pack on the plants and cauliflower is the perfect substitute!
Cauliflower rice packs less carbohydrates and more fiber making it ultimately more filling than any type of rice, just such a better option! The trick to working with cauliflower is just removing the residual water content. A staple race concept that was big in the late 90s, was Broccoli Cheddar Rice Casserole.
While it packed broccoli, it also packed white rice and piles of cheddar cheese. That being said, I was curious to revisit this concept and see if we could elevate the nutritional value without compromising flavor, and you absolutely can! You can easily substitute the dairy cheese for a cashew based one and throw in cauliflower rice and boom, you have a veggie packed dish!
What’s great about this recipe is that it’s quick, easy, filling, affordable, packs nutrients, packs fiber, can easily be made in bulk, the cashew cheese can be used in a variety of other dishes, it’s great for entertaining, you could pair with any sort of protein you like, and it’s good for any season!
Whether you’re trying to break away from carbs this 2020 or you are a huge fan of this dish, you’re going to love this new vegan Broccoli Cheddar Cauliflower Rice Casserole!!
Why this recipe is great:
Can easily be made in bulk
Eat Drink Shrink
15 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked overnight or boiled for 5-10 minutes
- 2 large carrots, more if desired to modify color, boiled
- 1 small potato, boiled
- 2 tbsps nutritional yeast
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 2 tsps vegan Worcestershire
- 1 tsp salt/fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 tbsp hot sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 ounces frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 bag frozen cauliflower rice
- Cashew Cheese: Throw everything in a high powered blender and blend until smooth.Add additional almond milk as needed and adjust seasonings to taste.Heat the oven to 350°F.
- While the oven is heating, heat olive oil a 12-inch skillet over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and cook until tender-crisp, stirring occasionally.Stir the cauliflower rice in and cook until lightly browned and water has evaporated.
- Now add the broccoli in the skillet and cook until tender-crisp, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the cheese sauce, toss and coat.
- Pour the broccoli mixture into an 11x8x2-inch baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the mixture is hot and bubbling.