Vegan Bourbon Peach French Toast
Hello & Happy Saturday!!
Every weekend I do a brunch concept and this weekend, I wanted to mix it up! I typically gravitate towards a good biscuit, muffin, or pancake, but I love a good french toast. My only request is that it has to be a fun flavor concept!
With spring in full swing, but having limitations on food options, I wanted to create a flavor combination that features canned fruit.. and the vegan Bourbon Peach Pancakes were born! Believe it or not, I can’t even remember the last time I’ve had bourbon, but I love having notes of it in desserts and or french toast. So even if you’re not fond of alcohol I promise, it makes this dish!
When it comes to making a vegan french toast there are various approaches to creating and eggless batter. Some use flax, others corn starch, tofu, or some just skip it altogether. eggs really give you a crisp edge on the french toast, but you can easily replicate that with the ground flax. if you love the egg flavor, you could also throw in nutritional yeast if desired. Needless to say, you can make a really fb french toast without eggs!
What’s fab about this french toast, is simply everything! It’s quick, easy, packed with flavor, features canned peaches, is affordable, has peaches even in the batter, is perfect for any season, has aesthetic appeal, notes of bourbon, perfect for entertaining, you could turn into a french toast bake, you can add toasted pecans, and it’s just hands down my latest obsession!
If you love al things peaches or bourbon, you have to try this recipe for vegan Bourbon Peach French Toast!!
Why this recipe is great:
Made with no eggs
Packed with flavor
Has notes of bourbon
Perf for any season!
Eat Drink Shrink
10 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 1 can peaches
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar or brown sugar
- ¼ cup bourbon
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, sifted
- 1 loaf crusty white bread, cut into 1-1½ inch thick slices
- 1/4 cup ground flax
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- vegan butter for the skillet
- powdered sugar to garnish
- Remove 1/4 cup worth of peaches. set aside.
- In a large bowl combine remaining peaches w/ 1/2 of the juices, brown sugar, bourbon, and cinnamon. Sift in the cornstarch. Toss to coat. Set the peach mixture aside.
- In a blender throw in the 1/4 cup peaches, almond milk, 1/4 cup ground flax, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Blend until smooth and then pour into a large bowl. Allow it to sit for 10-15 minutes to thicken.Once thickened, throw the slices in and allow them to soak.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat with vegan butter. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side. Try not to flip too much as it will help you to get that crust that you're looking for. Once all are cooked set aside.
- Pour in the bourbon peach mixture in a small pan over medium heat. Cook for 3-5 minutes, until reduced. Taste the mixture to ensure that the bourbon has been reduced enough to your liking.
- To serve, pour the bourbon peaches on top and garnish with powdered sugar.
* It's great to slice the bread and let it sit out to dry out or use old bread