Vegan Beet Burgers
Hello & Happy Wednesday!!
I literally made this recipe 5 years ago as I was just branching out into the culinary world with EDS. Believe it or not, this recipe still holds up today and remains to be one of my favorites out of 100’s of recipes! It was inspired by my favorite veggie burger at the Houstons restaurant chain and it mirrors the look and taste, but tastes, even better!
Just how good is it?! I rarely have the urge to eat a recipe while photographing it, but this one I have to eat and work, because it’s just that good!
Today there are countless frozen burger patties, but nothing compares to something that’s homemade, and these Beet Burgers are true game changers. It’s hard to imagine, that once upon a time I actually wasn’t crazy about beets! Proof, that you’re taste preferences shift as you get older.
What do I love most about this recipe?! Honestly, everything! It’s packed to the max with veggies, packs tons of flavor, texture, is hardy, filling from the oats/quinoa/black beans, affordable, effortless, the ailoli pairs seamlessly with the burger, packs quinoa, you can modify the veggies, make in bulk to freeze later, packs protein, packs fiber, has a hint of heat and a hint of sweet, non vegan approved, gluten free, holds together, and just all around the best dang vegan Beet Burger I’ve ever had lol.
If you’re looking to explore the world of beet burgers, this recipe has your name writing all over it! As one of the top viewed recipes on EDS, you can’t lose.
Why this is great:
Packed to the max with veggies
Great for entertaining
Perf for any season
Non vegan approved
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 2-4 burgers
25 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbps vinegar (optional)
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt as desired
- 1 small package mushrooms (sliced) (white or portobello)
- 1 can black beans- rinsed
- 3 beets (peeled, steamed, sliced)
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 4 dates (chopped ideally)
- 1 1/2 cups oats
- top with red onion, leaf lettuce,avocado, chipotle mayo
- 1 cup Vegan Follow Your Heart Mayo
- 2 tbsp adobo sauce
- 1 adobo pepper, minced
- In a pan over medium heat cook minced garlic with oil for a few minutes until fragrant.
- Now add diced onion, cook til clear, add chopped mushrooms, seasonings and add a few drops of vinegar.
- Cook for an additional 5-7minutes.
- Place black beans in a strainer, rinse then place in bowl with cooked quinoa, add the mushroom/onion mix.
- Put oats into the food processor and pulse until it forms a flour, Once the beets are soft, remove from oven, let cool, then place in a food processor.
- Pulse a few times with the oats, don't over process, texture is good.
- Add 4 soft dates (chopped) to the food processor with the beets to give the burgers a hint of sweetness.
- Once processed add to the bowl with everything else and and mix together with hands.
- Add additional oat flour if they appear too wet. Place in the fridge to set for 20 minutes.
- In a skillet over medium heat cook each patty for 5/7 minutes on each side. The thicker the patty the longer it will take to cook. You can also opt to bake. Set on a baking sheet and cook for 15-20 mins on 350
- Mayo: Throw everything together and combine
- The thicker the beet burger the longer you need to cook. If you would like to make more of a binder you can incorporate nuts or a flax egg. - If you don't want to use quinoa you can use brown rice - You can wrap in plastic and freeze