Vegan Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
Hello & Happy Thursday!!
With the temperatures dropping, I’m all about the soup! Believe it or not, I once rarely craved soup. After years of never ordering it while dining out, I just lost my infatuation with soup altogether. They typically are made with chicken or beef brother, packed with heavy cream, with loads of additional salt etc. That being said, I just always avoided it.
However, once I explored making homemade soups, my entire perception shifted. Soups are just SO EASY to throw together and can be as nutrient dense as you like. When the flavors combine, the veggies are nearly undetectable. So if you have a picky eater, soups are the perf medium to increase your veggie intake.
While I never ate tomato soup as a child, there was a corporate food concept back in the 90’s that had the most amazing Tomato Basil Soup. It was of course packed with heavy cream and cheese, but I knew you could make a vegan version that could taste just as good, if not better!
and the vegan Roasted Tomato Basil Soup was born!
What I love about this soup is, everything. It’s a handful of accessible and affordable ingredients, nutrient dense, packs tons of flavor, packs carrots, has less sodium, easy, cheesy, creamy, perf for any season, and is hands down one of my favorite soups! (I’ve been making it for years!)
If you’re looking for that classic tomato soup that can pair perf with a sammie or one that can just be eaten by the buckets.. (true story) You’ll love my plant based approach to the classic Roasted Tomato Basil Soup!
Why this recipe is great:
Can be made in bulk
Non vegan approved
Hands down. My number 1 fave soup!
Eat Drink Shrink
20 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. vegan butter
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 carrots peeled, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28-oz. cans Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- 9 roma tomatoes
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, leaves only
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 cup fresh basil (chopped)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2/3 cup cashews, soaked
- Salt/Pepper as needed
- Soak cashews in boiling water for 10 mins
- Preheat oven to 375. Slice Roma tomatoes and place cut side up on the pan. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle generously with salad and cracked black pepper. Roast for 1 hour, then set aside.
- In a large pot over medium heat add oil and vegan butter. Now add the chopped onion and sauté for about 5 mins.
- Now add the fresh thyme, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, basil (don't skimp on the 1 cup), chopped carrots and sugar (optional) and cook on low simmer for 10 mins
- Add the roasted tomatoes and 2 cups of vegetable stock, and simmer for 30 mins
- Combine the remaining 1 cup of stock with the soaked cashews, blend until smooth. Now add the remainder of the soup and blend until smooth. You may have to do it in portions depending on size of blender or food processor.
- Add back into the pot. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.