Vegan Sun Dried Tomato Basil Pasta with Spinach
Hello & Happy Monday!!
If there is one thing I’ve come to embrace in the past years, it’s pasta! From a distance I just didn’t see the appeal, but after learning at NYU how to make it from scratch my entire perception shifted. Pasta is actually a wonderful medium to pair with a nutrient dense sauce and countless veggies. Today, there are also healthier alternatives such as chickpea and even lentil pasta!
When it comes to cooking, I always get asked how to make vegan dishes taste good, and the answer is, a fab sauce!
You can take a drab dish to a fab dish, just by creating the perfect sauce. While I have a love hate relationship with cashews, they absolutely provide the best texture for soups and sauces and a little bit goes a long way. That being said, I love to throw it into countless dishes as they enrich the flavor, adds protein making it anything more filling and provides body that just can’t be replicated.
If you know me, you know I have an affinity for tomato basil soup. That being said, this pasta dish was such a no brainer as it provides the same great flavor and even features spinach as an added bonus!
What’s fab about this pasta dish, is everything! It’s quick, easy, cheesy, veggie packed, features staple ingredients, perf for any season, packs kale, can easily be made in bulk, and is just hands down one of my favorite dishes!
If you’re looking for that perfect pasta dish that both flavor and nutrients, you have to try my recipe for vegan Sun Dried Tomato Basil Pasta with Spinach!!
Why this recipe is great:
Can be made in bulk
Non vegan approved
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 5 cups of sauce
Serves 4 bowls
20 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped (3/4 cup)
- 4 carrots, peeled, diced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 1 28-oz. cans Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup almond milk or more as needed
- 1 cup cashews, soaked
- 3/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tbs fresh basil (chopped)
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper as needed
- 4 cups spinach
- 1 box cooked Angel Hair Pasta
- chopped fresh basil
- Vegan Parm
- Toasted pine nuts
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add diced onion, chopped carrot, and garlic; cook 5-7 minutes until vegetables are soft and onion slightly browned.
- Add crushed tomatoes, broth, sun dried tomatoes, basil, chopped basil, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper, and bring to a boil, then cover, and reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Soak cashews in boiling hot water for 5 minutes or overnight, drain water, set aside. Add the soaked cashews, almond milk, nutritional yeast to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add in the onion/carrot/tomato mix and blend everything together. You may have to do it in batches.
- Add everything back into saucepan; return to a simmer.
- Remove from heat, and toss the pasta with the sauce and the spinach. Top with additional chopped sun dried tomatoes and garnish with basil.