Vegan Moo Shu Jackfruit Pork Lettuce Wraps
Hell0 & Happy Thursday!
With the warmer temperatures upon us, I instantly crave lighter foods. However, I love to pack lighter dishes with lots of flavor, color, and tons of nutrients!
One of my favorite warm weather concepts is spring rolls using the rice paper wraps. Unfortunately those can be hard to source for some people, once the package is opened they can go stale, they can be an annoyance to work with, and the list goes on. So I actually opts for the traditional lettuce wraps on boston lettuce!
Truth, if there is one variety of lettuce I’m completely enamored with, it’s Boston Lettuce! It’s always fresh, crisp, outlives other varieties, and works seamlessly as a salad or even a wrap!
Jackfruit is another food that I’m completely all about. For the longest time I heard about it, but it was hard to find fresh or even canned, so it felt somewhat pointless to feature a recipe that wouldn’t be feasible for anyone.
Come to find out, you can easily order it off of Amazon, and while on the more expensive side, a little bit goes a long way!
What I love about this recipe is that even with the jackfruit, it’s cheap, affordable, can be made in bulk, you can mix up the veggies however you like, it’s light, colorful, the sauce can be made in bulk, it’s great for entertaining, packs tons of flavor and is non vegan approved!
If you’re looking for a new jackfruit concept that doesn’t disappoint, this is recipe for vegan Moo Shu Jackfruit Pork Lettuce Wraps are it!
What to see this recipe in action?!
Watch this clip above!!
Why this recipe rocks:
Perfect for warm weather
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 6 lettuce warps
20 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 squeeze lime juice
- 1 tsp fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp Tamari
- 3 tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 3 tbsp Hoisin Sauce
- 1 tbsp corn starch combine with 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp scallions (sliced)
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- Other: 1 can jackfruit in water
- 6 Boston lettuce leaves
- 2 cups napa cabbage
- 1 cup purple cabbage
- 1 cucumber (peeled, seeds removed, cut into sticks)
- sesame seeds
- Fill a large pot water and place over high heat. Empty the jackfruit into the pot once boiling and cook for 10 minutes to break down the jackfruit. Remove from heat, drain. set aside.
- In a pan over medium heat add the sesame oil and garlic, cook for two minutes until translucent. Add the remaining ingredients minus the scallions and corn starch and cook for five minutes. Combine the starch and water and slowly add in while stirring. Sauce should thicken. Remove from heat, add the scallion and and set aside.
- Jackfruit: In that same pan, add a drizzle of sesame oil to the pan and toss in the jackfruit. Cook over medium to high heat and continue breaking it down with a fork. Once all shredded, add in the sauce and continue stirring every other minute or so to prevent burning. I liked to let it sit for moments at a time as it achieves a nice char that gives it more texture.
- Assemble: Lay out the lettuce, add the jackfruit, top with cabbage, cilantro, avocado, a drizzle of more sauce, and garnish with sesame seeds!