Gluten Free Vegan Monster Cookies
Hello & Happy Thursday!!
Lately we’ve been developing our cookie category via EDS. There are only so many chocolate chip cookies you can do, but one that resonates with just about everyone, are these nostalgic Monster cookies! I’m not quite sure as to why they were named that, perhaps from Cookie Monster on Sesame Street, but at any rate..
The final result is just so good!
If you know me, you know I’m all about revamping childhood staples and putting a healthy spin on them. When I recalled this iconic cookie, I knew we had to explore this one and I’m just so glad we did. While I’ve done various oatmeal based cookies this one is my absolute favorite. The M+M’s add a crunch and the light notes of peanut butter all work together to create the perfect cookie. The cookie holds together with just flax eggs, has crisp edges, but still remains soft.
These cookies are great for countless reasons. They are quick, easy, feature minimal ingredients, uses kitchen staples, have color, texture, require only a flax egg, are gluten free, the chocolate chips are sweetened with stevia, they have minimal oil, are perfect for any season, can easily be made in bulk, and you can even use peanut butter vegan M+M’s if desired!
If you’re all about fab gluten free vegan cookies that don’t disappoint, you have to try these new vegan Monster Cookies!!
Why this recipe is great:
Made with oat flour
Perfect for any season
Feature flax eggs
Crispy yet soft
Eat Drink Shrink
15 minPrep Time
14 minCook Time
29 minTotal Time
- 1 cup gluten free oat flour
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free old-fashioned rolled oats, processed slightly
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons vegan unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup smooth, no-stir peanut butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp ground flax with 4 1/2 tbsp water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup Lily's Sweet Stevia Sweetened Chocolate Chips
- 3/4 cup vegan Unreal "M+M's" chocolate candies (almost whole bag of Unreal chocolate)
- Combine the ground flax and water. Stir to remove clumps and allow it to set for 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor add 1 cup of oats. Pulse until it looks like a fine dust. Now add the 1 1/2 cups of oats, salt, and baking soda. Plus a few times 3 times, set aside.
- In another bowl place the vegan butter, peanut butter, flax egg, vanilla, and brown sugar, and mix until fully combined. Add the oat flour mixture to the large bowl, and mix until just combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and vegan M+M candies. The dough will be thick but should not be stiff.
- Scoop the dough into mounds about 2 1/2 tablespoons each onto the prepared baking sheet, about 2 inches apart from one another. Using wet fingers, press each mound down into a disk about 1/2-inch thick. I flattened these a lot as they won't spread much.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or until the cookies are lightly brown around the edges, set in the center and the top of each cookie has taken on a crackled appearance. Allow the cookies to sit on the baking sheet for 10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack. If you want more of a soft texture you can skip the cooling rack. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature. These cookies also freeze amazingly well in a sealed freezer-safe container.