Hello & Happy Friday!!
If there was a day that Fried Pickles would be perf for.. Friday would be it!!
This recipe for friend pickles was inspired by watching a show featuring carnival food lol. I’m telling you, the most unhealthy yet, innovative recipes you could only dream of are found at carnivals.
Pickles for me were never something I craved. I love fried pickle chips, but they don’t have them everywhere and whole dills were just THAT much better. The downside to whole dills is that they only come in jars, making them uber heavy to carry around. For us New Yorkers its just more hassle.
Eating a whole dill pickle also has to be one of the most unattractive things. (honesty)
..But eating a FRIED WHOLE DILL PICKLE, ..well that my friends is another story!
What’s sheer perfection with this recipe is that it offers more intricate flavors than just a plain ol’ dill. Its got spice, its got sour, and even a hint of sweetness with the sour cream. #umami
If you love a good pickle, love anything fried, love spice, or just LOVE AMAZING VEGAN EATS!
You HAVE to make this recipe as you’re guaranteed to impress both your vegan and non vegan friends with this concoction!
- 1 jar whole dill pickle slices
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 2 jalapenos, seeded
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 10 oz Vegetable Oil for frying
- 10 Skewer sticks
- 3 tbsp fresh dill
- squeeze of lemon
- Pour enough oil in a large skillet so that the oil is about 1-2 inches up the side of the pan and heat to 350 degrees F. (boiling)
- In a shallow bowl or rimmed plate, whisk together flour, garlic powder, sea salt, paprika. Add hot sauce and water and mix until smooth.
- Dry off the pickles with paper towels so that the batter adheres to the pickles. Assemble the batter by adding the almond milk and diced jalapeños to the dry mixture.
- Dip pickles in a cup filled with batter letting excess drain off. Working in batches, place battered pickles in hot oil for about 3 minutes per side. Continue moving the pickle as it cooks to ensure that you get an aesthetically pleasing fried pickle.
- Once golden brown, remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
As you continue to cook batches, they may cook faster than 3 minutes because the oil is getting hotter. Reduce the cooking time or lower the heat a little bit. For more of a flavor kick substitute the almond milk for beer, yes beer!!