Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
Hello & Happy Monday!!
As of the last month or so, I’ve been going thru endless soup recipes. As a new mom and soup enthusiast, I’m always looking for the next best concept as soups are just so easy, great for the week, veggie packed, and my favorite reason..they are a great way to salvage produce on the way out.
This past week I decided to revisit some of my first recipes and knew I had to do this vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup!
While this was one of the first recipes ever created for EDS back in 2014, it absolutely still holds up today and remains to be one of my top favorite soups, which says a lot! (created over 20) The only bad thing about this recipe, my husband isn’t a fan of mushrooms so I don’t get to make it often. I could honestly eat it every day lol.
So how do you circumvent animal products in a recipe that’s typically heavy cream and chicken broth? You pack on the flavor, use coconut milk and cashews to add body, and boom, you have a soup that tastes just as good as the real deal!!
What’s fab about this soup, is everything! It’s quick, easy, affordable, features minimal staple ingredients, packed with healthy fats, mushrooms have tons of beneficial properties, has rich coconut milk, has texture from the mushrooms, protein from the cashews, can easily be made in bulk, perf for the cold weather, can be thickened to create a pizza or pasta sauce, and is hands down one of my favorite soups!
If you love effortless vegan soups or all things mushrooms, you’re going to love my staple vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup with cashew cream!
Why this recipe rocks:
Coconut milk instead of heavy cream
Can be made in bulk
Eat Drink Shrink
15 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 6 cups cremini mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 3 tsps vegan worcestershire
- 2 tsp fresh thyme (1tsp dried)
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- Salt/Pepper as needed
- In a large pot heat vegan butter over medium heat and add mushrooms.
- Sauté for 5 minutes until soft and fragrant. Remove two cups of mushrooms, set aside.
- Now add the chopped onion and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Once the mushrooms have shrunk and begun to release moisture, while the onion starts to brown, reduce heat, add the minced garlic, thyme, and vegan Worcestershire. Saute for an additional 3 minutes.
- Once most of the of moisture is absorbed, add in white wine and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Then add in coconut milk, vegetable stock, salt/pepper. Stir to combine the soup and then bring to a simmer.
- Add the soaked cashews to a high power blender with about 2 cups of the mixture and blend until smooth.
- Now add the remaining soup to the blender in segments and then pour back into the pot.
- Cook uncovered for at 20 minutes. The soups should reduce slightly and gain a thicker consistency. Add additional broth if desired.
- Toss in the mushrooms you remove earlier to add texture. Garnish with thyme and serve warm.
* If you don't have time to soak cashews, simply place in boiling water for 7-10 minutes.