Vegan Thai Coconut Lemongrass Soup
Hello & Happy Thursday!!
I’d like to start by saying I was once not a soup person I found them not filling and they are typically packed with sodium and animal products unless made from scratch. That being said, for years I didn’t get into soups.
However, once I got my stride and realized just how effortless it is to throw together a soup, I’ve made countless varieties! Some of my personal favorites are Tomato Basil, Asparagus, French Onion, Lobster Bisque, Clam Chowder and the list goes on.
Growing up Thai Lemongrass Soup was my mothers favorite soup. So much that we had it on the regular at such a young age, that today I have such an affinity of it. The flavors blend so seamlessly together and it’s just as comforting as a bowl of “chicken” noodle soup! Whether you have plain jane tastebuds or love intricate flavors, this soup is such a crowd pleaser!
Believe it or not, this recipe was one of the first concepts I ever produced in our tiny NYC apartment in 2014 while drowning in grad school.
I can’t even begin to tell you what part of this recipe is my favorite, because I just love it all! It’s quick, easy, affordable, can easily be made in bulk, packs nutrients, packed with veggies, you can add tofu to make it even more filling, perf for any season, has a hint of sweet, and a hint of heat, and is just hands down my favorite soup!
If you’re searching for that staple soup to add to your cooking routine, you need to try my vegan Thai Coconut Lemongrass Soup!
Why this recipe is great:
Great for entertaining
Can be made in bulK
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 4 bowls soups
10 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
5 based on 3 review(s)
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 3 tsp lemongrass paste
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can coconut milk
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 squares of dried ramen or noodles of your choice
- 2 tsp thai red curry paste
- 1 cup red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 cups mung beans
- salt/pepper as desired
- 2-3 scallions, peeled or chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 lime (wedges, garnish)
- Heat coconut oil in large saucepan or stock pot over medium heat.
- Add ginger, garlic, lemongrass, and lemongrass paste (optional), thai red curry paste, and sautee for about two minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, brown sugar, red pepper flakes, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, add the coconut milk, red bell pepper, mung beans, and cook for 10 minutes until veggies are softened.
- Add in the noodles, cook for an additional 5. Then remove from heat, stir in the lime juice.
- Top with scallions, fresh cilantro, red pepper flakes lime wedges.
!*You can also add tofu, shiitakes and more to this soup! !*If you can't find the lemongrass paste, you can use 1 stalk fresh lemongrass