Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup
What I love about this soup is, everything! It’s quick, easy, affordable, involves minimal ingredients, has a hint of sweet from the potatoes, and hint of heat from the adobo peppers, can easily be made in bulk, and perf for any season!
If you love quick and easy effortless soups, you’ll be head over heels for this classic Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup!
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 4 servings
15 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, chopped
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- garnish: cilantro, toasted pine nuts, pinch of cumin
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high. Add onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook until beginning to brown around edges, about 7 minutes.
- Add cumin and garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in sweet potatoes, chopped chili, and broth. Bring to a boil; reduce to a rapid simmer, partially cover, and cook until sweet potatoes can be mashed easily with a spoon, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Let soup cool slightly. Working in batches, transfer soup to a blender and puree until smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids). Return pureed soup to pot over low heat and season with salt and pepper. Top soup with a pinch of cumin and garnish with cilantro, toasted pine nuts, and coconut milk if desired.