Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Hello & Happy Friday!!
When it comes to soups, there was a few years while plant based where I never had them. I thought they had to be too involved to make at home from scratch and if enjoyed while dining out they were laden with sodium and animal products. That being said, I always overlooked soups until about 2017. (all the soups I could have been enjoying lol)
Today I love soups and crave all the staples on a regular basis. Soups are quite effortless, you can control what goes in them (yay), and you can make a flavorful soups without the use of animal products without even breaking a sweat!!
When it comes to the heavier soups, you envision that a vegan version cannot be made. However, with a lil cashews or coconut milk you can mirror that same richness. I find soups to also be quite filling. You can pack them with veggies, pair with some bread if you like and boom, you’re full after one bowl and it can easily be made in bulk to be enjoyed throughout the week as a quick lunch or dinner.
I had made a Broccoli Cheddar Soup a few years ago that was served in a bowl. I decided to revisit that recipe to remove the vegan cheese so there are no food products and cut out the bread as I prefer to dip my bread in the soup lol. I switched up a few ingredients and was able to make it more flavorful and nutrient packed..
and the new vegan Broccoli Cheddar Soup 2.0 was born!!
What’s fab about this soup, is everything. It’s quick, easy,. affordable, involves a handful of ingredients, has a richness from the cashews, packed with veggies, is a soup staple, has a rich cheesy flavor with a hint of spice, can easily be made in bulk, and is perfect for entertaining for any season!
If you long for the days of broccoli cheddar soup, well wait no longer! You have to try my recipe for vegan Broccoli Cheddar soup!
Why this recipe rocks:
Can be made in bulk
Packs lots of flavor
Non vegan approved
Can be served in a bread bowl, um yum!
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 4-6 bowls
20 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 4 tbsp melted vegan butter
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic clove
- 1/2 cup soaked cashews
- 2 cups almond milk
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 tsps fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 large bunches broccoli, chopped
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 tbsp vegan Worcestershire
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Break apart broccoli florets into small pieces and roughly chop. If you can't find grated carrots you can always peel them.
- Add chopped onion, minced garlic, and 1 tbsp of melted butter and cook until transparent, 3 to 5 minutes.
- In a large blender add the soaked cashews, 1/2 the cooked carrot onion mix, almond milk, nutritional yeast, and blend until smooth.
- Add the vegetable stock, cashew cream blend, Worcestershire, chopped broccoli, and thyme into the large pot with the remaining cooked carrots and onion, simmer for 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
If soup become more solid post refrigeration, simply add more stock and simmer!