Vegan Chipotle Black Bean Soup
Hello & Happy Thursday!!
If there is one staple soup I always loved, it’s Black Bean! For some people its a classic go to, for others its something they’ve never even tried. (mind blown). Ironically I don’t crave black beans in recipes, but I do love them as a bean dip and especially as a soup!
Like all soups, this one is super easy, and super affordable! You literally need a handful of ingredients you should already own and 20 minutes and boom, you have a fab soup you can enjoy throughout the week! The hardest thing about this soup would be trying to capture it in an image and make it look attractive lol. Brown soup is a tough one!
When it comes to soups, it’s a great medium to pack on the veggies. Everything is blended together and additional veggies truly enhance the flavor of any soup. So if you have picky eaters or you’re just looking for ways to maximize your veggie intake, soups are a great option!
What I love about this soup, is everything! It’s easy, affordable, veggie packed, a lil spicy from the adobo peppers, smokey from the liquid smoke, isn’t too watery, and not too thick, packs carrots for added flavor and nutrients, can easily be made in bulk, frozen and stored for later, and pairs perf with some rich avocado and cilantro!
If you’re all about Black Bean Soup or love effortless vegan staples, you have to try my recipe for Black Bean Soup!
Why this recipe rocks:
Can be made in large batches
High in plant protein
Can maximize the veggie content by adding bell peppers
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 4 bowls of soup
15 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 1 med size yellow onion, chopped
- 1 chili in adobo sauce (chopped) with 2 tbsp of adobo sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup carrots (ideally shredded)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 3 cans black beans, rinsed and drained (2 cans if you want it less thick)
- 1 Bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- 2 tsps liquid smoke
- 2 tsps vegan worcestershire
- optional toppings: chopped fresh cilantro, crumbled corn tortilla chips, jalapeño, diced avocados, Follow Your Heart sour cream and/or shredded cheese
- In a large pot on medium heat, add the oil and chopped onions, cook til translucent. Then add the carrots, garlic, and spices, salt/pepper, and adobo peppers with sauce, and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes.
- Lastly add the the beans, bay leaf, liquid smoke, worcestershire, lime juice, and broth. Let everything marinate on low/med for 1hr or more so the flavors can combine. (the longer the better)
- When ready to serve, remove the bay leaf and throw the soup in a blender. Blend until smooth. Add it back into the pot until ready to serve.
- Serve warm and top with avocado, vegan sour cream, and cilantro!
If too thick, add more vegetable broth, if too watery add more pureed black beans You can also choose to give the soup texture and reserve 1 cup of the soup and blend the rest