Vegan Beet Soup Recipe
Hello & Happy Wednesday!!
Let’s talk beets! Even as a foodie today, once upon a time, I wasn’t a fan of beets. The neutral flavor, the texture, you name it, I wasn’t about it. However, today, I love the vibrancy they add to any dish along with their mild flavor and I just love them. If you’re stumped on how to use them, soup is a great option! I personally love soup season as it’s the best medium to pack on the veggies. You can throw in a lil of this and that and given the portion, you can’t even detect them. Great for parents struggling to get in the good stuff!
There are some recipes that are just staples, and beet soup is one of them! This was one of the first soup recipes I created back in 2014 and I was quickly enamored with beets due to the gorgeous color they provide and just how well the flavor pairs with coconut milk! It breaks up the earthy flavor of the beets, adds a hint of sweet and even organically creates a wonderful pink hue that will brighten up any dinner table.
What I love about this recipe is that it involves a handful of affordable and accessible ingredients, is effortless, can be made in bulk, perf for any season, pairs perfectly with toast, has a hint of sweetness with the coconut milk + apples, and will compliment any meal or can even be enjoyed by itself!
If you’re looking for a classic soup that’s guaranteed to become a staple in your home, you have to try my recipe for vegan Beet Soup!
Why the recipe is great:
Non vegan approved
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 5 bowls
45 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
1 hr, 5 Total Time
- 3 beets
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp ginger
- 1 apple, peeled, chopped
- 1 large leek, chopped
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- 4-5 cups veg broth
- 2 tbsp thyme
- 1 can coconut milk
- Himalayan Sea Salt as desired
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Sauté leeks, 5 minutes. (mostly white, a lil green)
- Add garlic, ginger and apples cook, stirring often for 5 minutes.
- Add peeled chopped beets and 4 cups stock to the same pot; bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until beets are fork-tender. (45 mins)
- Place the mixture into a blender and puree, use additional stock as needed to reach desired consistency.
- Stir in coconut milk, salt/ pepper, thyme and parsley Garnish with thyme and coconut cream
For more sweetness, you can use coconut oil instead of olive oil to cook the garlic, apples, onions, and ginger