Vegan Roasted Beet Pasta
Hello & Happy Wednesday!
If there is one vegetable I’ve evolved to love over time, it’s beets! Beets are an interesting vegetable that pack a high natural sugar content, a vibrant color, and can be used in the obvious savory dishes and actually pairs seamlessly with sweet dishes as well.
Years ago while developing a plethora of Valentine’s Day concepts that were of course all desserts, I wanted to create the perfect savory V-Day dish. One that packs flavor, nutrients, and of course.. color!
Before I knew it, the vegan Beet Penne Pasta was born!!
What I love about this dish is that it involves minimal steps, minimal ingredients, is innovative, modern, offers a gorgeous hue, packs nutrients, packs flavor, and is the perf dish spring or Valentine’s Day dish!
If you love working with beets or simply festive vegan dishes, you have to try my recipe for vegan Beet Penne Pasta!
Why this recipe rocks:
Perf for Valentine’s Day
Eat Drink Shrink
25 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 2 medium-sized beets,
- 3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 large yellow onion, diced
- 2/3 cup cashews, soaked overnight
- 1 cup almond milk (can use stock)
- 1/2 pound cooked angel hair pasta
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- parsley leaves + toasted pine nuts for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375.
- On a rimmed baking sheet, wrap the beets in aluminum foil with 1 Tbs. oil, and a good pinch of salt and pepper.
- Wrap the garlic in aluminum foil with a drizzle of olive oil. Roast for 40 minutes. Check for doneness at the 30-minute mark.While the veggies roast, cook the onion. If the garlic doesn't seem roasted enough, leave in the oven while you prep the rest.
- Add diced onion and thyme to a small pan over medium heat with a lil olive oil. cook for 3-5 minutes until slightly browned.
- Transfer beets to a blender or food processor.
- Add the garlic, balsamic vinegar, almond milk, soaked cashews, cooked onions, and the 2 remaining Tbs. oil. Pulse until it’s as smooth.
- Transfer beet mixture to a small saucepan. Toss in the fresh pasta. 2 minutes.
- Serve pasta garnished with chopped parsley and toasted pine nuts.
You can use canned beets, however, the color will be more of a pale pink and the roasting provides a richer flavor versus canned.