Vegan Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Hello & Happy Wednesday!!
Within the past few weeks, I’ve been craving all the fall staple soups. While I’m not a huge soup person, there are a handful that are just staples that you can’t go wrong, one of them..
is loaded baked potato soup!
Typically this soup is cream based, flavored with bacon and is just a terrible option. That being said, I love to take on a challenge of replicating heavy dishes and cleaning them up. One of the first soups I ever did on EDS back in 2014 was actually this soup. I was still getting my feet wet with cooking and knew I had to revisit this dish to make a more modern version and boom, version 2.0 was born!
What’s fab about this soup, is everything! It’s quick (you can skip the bacon), easy, contains affordable and accessible ingredients, filling, features almond milk rather than the heavier coconut milk, cashew cream for that added texture and cheese flavor, and packs so much flavor!
If you’re craving a modern vegan soup, you have to check out this recipe for vegan Loaded Baked Potato Soup with shiitake bacon!
What’s fab about this recipe:
Can be made in bulk
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 4-6 bowls
25 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 1 cup shiitakes
- 2 tsp vegan Worcestershire
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 tbs vegan butter or olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 large potatoes - peeled and diced (1 additional if you want to create a chunky texture)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup cashews, soaked overnight in water or boiled until soft.
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1 cup vegan sour cream
- 1-2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp vegan Worcestershire
- 2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/2 cup Follow Your Heart Vegan Cheddar
- 1 bunch green onions
- 1/2 cup vegan Follow Your Heart Sour Cream
- Preheat the oven to 250: Throw the sliced shiitakes in the ingredients and bake for 30+ minutes until a little crispy. set aside.
- Heat a large pot of water to boiling and add the potatoes. Boil for 30 minutes or until fork tender. Remove the skins, chop.
- Add the onions and garlic to the pot with a drizzle of olive oil, cook until slightly browned, set aside.
- add the onion, garlic and potatoes and cook slightly
- In a large blender or food processor add the soaked cashews, nutritional yeast, vegan sour cream, cooked onions, potatoes, and almond milk. Blend until smooth. Add additional almond milk to smooth the texture. If you don't have a powerful blender I would blend the cashews first minus the potatoes and then gradually add them in.
- Pour the blended ingredients back into the pot and add the vegetable stock. Add additional if desired to achieve the right consistency.
- Add in the Worcestershire, soy, and thyme.
- Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down and simmer.
- Top with the garnishes and enjoy!
You can bake the potatoes rather than boiling if preferred If you want to make a chunky consistency add an additional boiled potato, chopped into the blended soup If you want to add a dimension of spice, I added a little Siracha in mine