Vegan Brown Butter Pumpkin Rice Krispie Treats
Hello & Happy Friday!!
When it comes to nostalgic eats, I love a good Rice Krispie Treat. There is something about it that just takes you back to childhood and bonus, they are so easy to make! While a classic marshmallow treat is always a win, I love to play around with the flavors and get creative.
When it comes to fall, it’s all about the pumpkin! As “basic” a this flavor is, I love a good mellow/vanilla type flavor and it’s always been my go to. While I like to always incorporate fresh pumpkin in recipes, you don’t want to add moisture to Rice Krispie Treats. The texture will be off and the typically don’t hold together well. However, a lil pumpkin spice goes a long way!
To make this recipe even more unique I decided to feature brown butter. If you’re not familiar with brown butter, it’s simply cooking down the butter for a few minutes until you achieve a golden like color. For whatever reason, this simple process derives more butter like flavor that keeps you coming back for more. We tried it with this classic version and it was SO GOOD, I knew a pumpkin flavor would be a hit!
Tips: I always ensure to add enough butter for a soft texture, reduce the cereal, and add in whole marshmallows at the end to really capture that marshmallow flavor!
What’s great about this recipe, is everything! It’s quick, easy, affordable, it packs a rich butter flavor, notes of pumpkin, are buttery soft, perfect for fall, is packed with marshmallows, perfect for entertaining, you can add natural dye for a pumpkin hue or skip it altogether, and they are just hands down my newest obsession!
If you love all things pumpkin or marshmallows, you have to try these new vegan Brown Butter Pumpkin Marshmallow Treats!!
Love Rice Krispie Treats?
Check out all the recipes we’ve done here
Why this recipe is great:
Packs a rich butter flavor
Notes of pumpkin
Eat Drink Shrink
10 minCook Time
10 minTotal Time
- 4 1/2 cups Rice Krispie Cereal
- 1 1/2 bags My Dandies Vegan Marshmallows
- 6 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice
- In a large pot over medium heat add the vegan butter. Cook butter until foamy 2-3 minutes. Swirl the pan, or stir the butter, often to be sure the butter is cooking evenly. Keep cooking, stirring constantly until you start seeing little golden flecks in the butter. The color will progress from lemony-yellow to golden-tan.
- Once you see lots of little browned bits and smell that nutty aroma, immediately add 1 bag of the marshmallows and stir to combine until fully melted.
- Remove from heat, and quickly stir in vanilla, pumpkin spice. Add natural colored food dye for an orange hue now if desired. Keep combining until the color is uniform.
- Fold in crispy rice cereal, moving quickly and then fold in additional 1/2 bag of whole mini marshmallows.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan. Using a spatula or a a sheet of parchment paper, lightly press them into pan. Too much pressure will cause the to be too dense.
- Allow treats to cool, then cut into squares and serve!