Vegan Lemon Blueberry Cake
Hello & Happy Thursday!!
I must be tired, because in all honesty I had to check my calendar to confirm the day of the week today lol. If you’re swamped with life right now, then quick and easy concept will be your saving grace! Within the past few years I’ve gravitated away from smoothies, but even having said that, I always have fresh bananas on hand to throw into recipes. They seamlessly add moisture and can even serve as an egg replacer in recipes at times.
What’s funny is, I never use fresh bananas as they always go bad, but make for the perfect banana bread concept or natural sweetener to recipes. The longer they sit and ripen, the more natural sugar content they have. Since I cook full time, I try to reduce the added sugar content in every recipe and bulk up the fruit. At least with fruit you’re obtaining beneficial properties rather than processed sugar that’s just, sugar.
If you know anything about my preferences, I love all things fruit forward versus chocolate, and all things lemon and lime. With a handful of blueberries on the verge of spoiling and bananas that were way overdue, this recipe for Lemon Blueberry Cake was a no brainer!
What I love about this recipe, is everything! It involves a handful of ingredients, affordable, minimal sugar, packs fruit, notes of lemon, is buttery soft, has a cake like texture, aesthetic appeal, perfect or any season and can be topped with icing if you want more sweetness!
If you love staple recipes that don’t disappoint, you have to try this classic recipe for vegan Lemon Blueberry Cake!!
Why this recipe rocks:
Uses bananas versus eggs
Has aesthetic appeal
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 6-8 slices
15 minPrep Time
55 minCook Time
1 hr, 10 Total Time
- 1 1/2 cups flour + 2tbs
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup almond milk combined w/1 tsp lemon juice "vegan buttermilk"
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (you could probably get away w/ 1/3 cup if you do icing on the top)
- 1 1/2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (from 1 lemon)juice from 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup + 2tbs coconut oil, melted
- 1 heaping cup blueberries , fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3-4 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease well the bottom and sides of a 9x5" loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, lemons zest, and salt. You can throw the zest in the wet, but I find that it flavors the flour and creates additional flavor. In a large bowl combine the mashed bananas, almond milk (room temp) with lemon juice "vegan buttermilk", coconut sugar, lemon juice, vanilla, and melted coconut oil. If the oil begins to solidify due to the cold almond milk, simply pop in the microwave for a minute.
- Slowly fold the dry ingredients into the wet, just until incorporated. (optional: In a separate bowl mix the blueberries with 1 Tbsp of flour) and then gently fold them into the mixed batter.
- Pour the batter into the pan and top with slivered almonds. Bake for 55 minutes - 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the glaze (Optional): Whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice and drizzle over the top of the loaf. Allow to set/harden before serving.