Vegan Lemon Rosemary Scones
Hello & Happy Friday!!
This week we’ve been exploring a lot of new concepts to feature via EDS! I’m currently obsessed with breakfast ideas as the weekends are a great opportunity to get into the kitchen and mix it up. I always reach for the typical avocado toast, so it’s nice to break away from the routine for once. Lately, I’ve been falling in love with scones. Last week we did Lemon Blueberry!
Scones are a cross between a muffin and a biscuit and pair seamlessly with coffee or tea.With an affinity for all things biscuits, I knew we had to do some scone recipes! Since lemon and rosemary is one of my all time favorite flavor combos and the muffins were a huge hit, I knew it was a perfect match! Bonus, everyone is familiar with them and they are just always a win win.
What’s great about this recipe is that it mirrors the traditional variety, fairly quick, easy, affordable, has the perfect texture, features vegan butter, a rich lemon flavor, notes of rosemary, they are perfect for the season, perfect if you have herbs or lemons on their way out (I always do), great for brunch, you can make them into even smaller portions if desired, you can skip the icing if you’re looking to lower the sugar content, and these are just a crowd pleaser!
If you love all things scones, lemon + rosemary, you have to try these vegan Lemon Rosemary Scones!!
Why this recipe is great:
Perf for spring!
Perf for brunch
Rich lemon flavor
Notes of rosemary
Eat Drink Shrink
35 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
55 minTotal Time
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 2 Tablespoons cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold vegan butter
- 1 1/2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsps lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 3 tbsp Coarse Sugar for coating
- 2 tbsp melted vegan butter
- 1Lemon Glaze: (optional)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add flour, baking powder, salt, and cane sugar.
- Cut in vegan butter until the butter is in tiny clumps, evenly distributed in the dough.
- To a small bowl add the maple syrup, chopped rosemary lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla, and almond milk. Whisk to combine. Add to the bowl of the dry ingredients.
- Mix ingredients; If you find the dough is too dry, add more milk, but 1 tablespoon at a time until the dough is stiff, you want a firm dough.
- On a floured surface use hands to form the dough into a disc. Divide into 8 even slices. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Separate the scones so they have room to bake.
- Brush the tops with melted vegan butter and generously sprinkle with coarse sugar. You can use any variety of sugar, but coarse is the best!
- Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Bake for 20 minutes, with rotating mid bake.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Make the lemon glaze by combining all the ingredients in a small bowl. If too thick add a lil more lemon juice. Too wet, add a lil more powdered sugar. Pour over top and sprinkle with additional chopped rosemary and lemon zest.