Vegan Chocolate Chip Biscotti
Hello & Happy Wednesday!!
I’ve been on a mission to explore a variety of new recipes to feature on EDS. One in particular was a traditional biscotti. I’ve whipped up a few almond flour varieties, and while those are good, I love exploring the traditional recipes to compare and of course offer more options.
Almond flour can also be on the pricer side, so it’s great to try concepts with the staple white flour!
Biscotti is one of those things I never tried until a few years ago. They pair great with coffee, are such a staple, a cross between a cookie and a biscuit, and are just so easy!!
I tested 2 different recipes yesterday, and while I loved the other option that required less ingredients, it didn’t mirror that classic biscotti and just didn’t work with chocolate chips. Stay tuned for an oil free and vegan egg free option coming soon!
What’s great about this traditional recipe is that it’s just like the real deal! It features a handful of ingredients, vegan butter, flax eggs, you can chill the dough and baked biscottis to cut down on time, they are perfect for any season, you can skip dipping them in chocolate, you can add orange zest if you like, and bake for even longer if you like that ultra hard texture!
If you’r searching for an effortless biscotti recipe or love all things chocolate, you have to try this new vegan Chocolate Chip Biscotti!!
Why this recipe is great:
No eggs or milk
Features flax eggs
Packed with chocolate chips
Perfect for any season
Eat Drink Shrink
20 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (8tbsp) vegan butter, room temperature
- 2 tbsp ground flax
- 6 tbsp water
- 1 cup Lily's Sweets chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup Lily's Sweet's Chocolate Chops
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Combine the ground flax and water and allow to thicken
- Beat together the vegan butter and sugars until light and fluffy
- Add in the vegan eggs and vanilla and mix until well combined
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder and salt
- While the mixer is on low, slowly add in the dry ingredients in segments (3)
- Once everything is just combined, fold in the the chocolate chips
- Form the dough into an approximate 3?x16? log on a parchment paper lined baking sheet
- Bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes or until it’s a light golden color
- Remove the biscotti log from the oven and allow to cool for 30 minutes on counter or place in freezer and chill for 15.
- Reduce the oven temp t o 325°F
- Slice the biscotti into slices of desired thickness (you can get up to 15 slices) and then lay the slices cut side down on the parchment lined baking sheet
- Bake for an additional 8-10 minutes to yield softer biscotti. If you want hard keep the temp at 350 degrees and bake for 10 mins.
- Allow to fully cool. Combine chips and coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl. Melt for 1 minute, combining after every 15 seconds until fully melted. Repeat if needed. Dip cooled biscotti's in chocolate and allow to set.