Vegan Caramelized Banana French Toast
Hello & Happy Saturday!!
Each weekend we whip up a breakfast concept. Whether it’s pancakes, biscuits or french toast, I love to have a brunch recipe to feature with you guys. My typical go to’s are avocado toast etc, but when it comes to the weekends it’s great to have fun and try things that are a lil more indulgent. While I love them all, french toast is my personal favorite!
Typically french toast is egg based, which is going to give you the great crust on the outside of the bread. However, with a flax egg you can recreate that texture and it will mimic traditional french toast. Pair it with spices, fruit, and a sauce, and you have yourself a fab vegan french toast!
What’s wonderful about this french toast, is that i delivers in every capacity. It’s packed with flavor, has bananas in the batter, features an effortless caramel sauce, you could switch it up and do a date caramel if desired (date soaked in boiling how water, blend until smooth), you can brûlée the banana in the caramel sauce, it’s perfect for any season, you could incorporate a bourbon caramel sauce if desired, and it’s just a win win!
If you love all things bananas or french toast, you have to try this new vegan Caramelized Banana French Toast!
Why this recipe is great:
Features flax eggs
Packed with flavor
Easy caramel sauce
Perfect for any season!
Eat Drink Shrink
15 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 loaf crusty white bread, cut into 1-1½ inch thick slices
- 1/4 cup ground flax
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 bananas
- Slice the bread so it can further dry out.
- In a blender combine the batter ingredients, minus the bread, blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl.
- Allow the mixture to sit for 10-15 minutes to thicken. Once thickened, throw the slices in and allow them to soak.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat with vegan butter. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side. Try not to flip too much as it will help you to get that crust that you're looking for. Once all are cooked set aside. Heating too high will also cause the coating to stick to the pan more.
- To make the caramel sauce ingredients combine the ingredients in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Stir consistently until the mixture begins to boil. Continue stirring for another minute or so until it is smooth, remove from the heat. Sauce will thicken and be golden. (5 minutes) If you continue to cook it will become overly thick.
- Remove 90 percent of the caramel sauce from the pan to use for topping french toast and thinly slice the other banana at an angle and place in the pan. Cook over medium heat for 3 minutes on each side.
- To plate stack the french toast, and top with bruled bananas and garnish with caramel sauce.