Vegan Strawberry Basil Pop Tarts
Hello & Happy Thursday!!
I don’t know about you, but I haven’t had a pop tart in years. As a child I loved the typical everyday boxed pop tarts, I believe S’mores was my favorite lol. However, today, I can’t recall the last time I craved one or even have any seen one anywhere.
Pop tarts are one of those concepts that are just nostalgic. Whether you had one yesterday or 15 years ago, the thought of them is like taking a walk down memory lane. One of the first recipes I ever created was actually a Black Cherry Soda pop tart (random), but it wasn’t my best work and I never revisited the concept.
That being said, I wanted to do one last fun modern summer inspired vegan pop tart, and the Strawberry Basil Pop Tarts were born!
What’s fab about these pop tarts, is everything! It’s quick, easy, features minimal ingredients, has a classic strawberry flavor with a hint of basil, is perf for the last few weeks of summer, can easily be made in bulk, perf for entertaining, and is the best staple pop tart recipe that you can just mix up the filling with whatever you’re craving!
If you’re looking for a staple pop tart recipe or love all things strawberry basil, you have to try my recipe for vegan Strawberry Basil Poptarts!
Why this recipe rocks:
Perf for any season!
Can easily be made in bulk
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 8 to 16 depending on size
15 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries, sliced
- 2 tbsp sliced basil
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tsp corn starch or arrow root
- 2 Tbsp cane sugar or maple syrup
- 2 cups flour + more for dusting
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2/3 cup cold vegan butter or coconut oil
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 strawberries, smashed
- 1 tsp water or more as needed
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Prepare the filling by placing strawberries, cane sugar or maple syrup. cook for a few minutes. Combine orange juice and corn starch, whisk until smooth and add to the pan. Continue to stir and smash the strawberries. Cook for 5-7 minutes until thickened. Remove from heat and add in the shredded basil.
- In a large bowl, mix flour and salt, then cut in butter with a fork or pastry cutter until well combined.
- Drizzle ice cold water over the mixture in 1 Tablespoon amounts and mix with a wooden spoon until it starts to form a dough. It usually takes about 2-3 Tbsp, but you may need to add up to 5 Tbsp. It should be moist enough to form into a ball, but not too sticky to handle. Add more flour if it gets too wet.
- Turn onto a floured surface, gently shape into a disc, and then use a floured rolling pin over wax paper to roll into a large rectangle, the wax paper will prevent the dough from breaking.
- Cut into equal squares and transfer to a baking sheet. Poke holes in the top portion with the end of a spoon/fork or use a chopstick.
- Place about 1 Tbsp of the fruit filling onto 8 of the squares, leaving a 1/4 inch border to seal the edges. Then use your finger to run water around the edges so the two squares stick together. Top the squares with their matching halves with holes and then seal lightly with a fork.
- Brush with a bit of melted vegan butter and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool and then top with strawberry basil glaze if desired. To prepare glaze, simply whisk together melted the ingredients and layer over the tops. Garnish with additional basil. Store leftovers in a sealed container in fridge