Vegan Salted Brown Butter Rice Krispy Treats
Hello & Happy Thursday!!
I don’t know about you, but I love food trends. They keep you on you toes with exploring new ways to love food and sometimes they are so good, they stick around! One of the more recent trends in the last few years has been brown butter. I’ve seen it honestly in anything and everything and while intrigued, I didn’t feel as though you could capture it with every recipe. The flavor can be lost depending on what you’re putting it in. However it absolutely works with these new vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies, and these Rice Krispy Treats!!
Believe it or not, while simple, you can easily mess up a good rice krispy treat. It’s supposed to be soft, flexible, and not a hard brick. If you cook the marshmallows on too high of heat too fast, that will effect the texture as well as adding too much cereal. I once thought well the more cereal the better, because they would be bigger. However, that’s far from the truth as you’ll just achieve a rock hard result. So lower heat, less cereal, and lastly, fold in whole marshmallows and flavor!
Initially I never thought to add flavor to a rice krispy treat. It’s sweet, crunch, why do you need more? Well, you do! By adding a lil vanilla and some sea salt, I swear, I completely alters the flavor and makes it memorable. Tie it all in with rich browned butter, it’s game changing!
What’s great about this recipe? All of it! It’s my staple rice krispy treat recipe, buttery soft, packs less cereal, notes of rich butter, a hint of vanilla and sea salt, they can easily be made in bulk, contain no animal products, are perfect for entertaining, and perfect for any season!
If you love all things brown butter or rice krispy treats, you’re going to love these new vegan Salted Brown Butter Rice Krispy Treats!
Why this recipe is great:
Rich brown butter flavor
Notes of sea salt
Eat Drink Shrink
10 minPrep Time
10 minTotal Time
5 based on 1 review(s)
- 4 1/2 cups Rice Krispy Cereal
- 1 1/2 bags My Dandies Vegan Marshmallows
- 6 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- In a large pot over medium heat add the vegan butter. Cook butter until foamy 2-3 minutes. Swirl the pan, or stir the butter, often to be sure the butter is cooking evenly. Keep cooking, stirring constantly until you start seeing little golden flecks in the butter. The color will progress from lemony-yellow to golden-tan.
- Once you see lots of little browned bits and smell that nutty aroma, immediately add 1 bag of the marshmallows and stir to combine until fully melted.
- Remove from heat, and quickly stir in vanilla and kosher salt. Fold in crispy rice cereal, moving quickly and then fold in additional 1/2 bag of whole mini marshmallows.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan. Using a spatula or a a sheet of parchment paper, lightly press them into pan. Too much pressure will cause the to be too dense.
- Allow treats to cool, then cut into squares and serve!