Vegan Pretzel Wrapped Hot Dogs
Hello & Happy Monday!!
The past week has been on the busier side, which has left less time to develop recipes for Eat Drink Shrink. However, this was the perfect opportunity to revisit a recipe I explored back in 2014,
Vegan Pretzel Wrapped Hot Dogs!
When it comes to the 4th of July it’s all about grilling and indulgent eats. Rather than feeling left out as a plant based enthusiasts there are countless vegan options you can throw together that deliver and this is one of them! I’m personally all about the pretzels so combining this nostalgic food with bread was a win win for me. Especially when you pair it with a great sauce!
Before you think, well bread is difficult and I just don’t have the patience, I’ve tested this recipe over 7x using it in all my pretzel recipes and it works every time! I’ve even used old yeast, let it rise in the fridge and so and so forth, and still give consistent results.
What I love about this recipe is that it’s fairly quick, has straightforward instructions, the hot dogs are ready made, you can switch up the sauce, you can pack them with vegan cheese if desired, the sauce is everything and can be used with other dishes, you can add spice to sauce for more of a spicy “honey” mustard, you can sprinkle them with herbs to switch it up, they are perfect for entertaining, perfect for summer, and can easily be made in bulk!
If you’re looking for that fun festive vegan bite that will please even your meat eating friends.. You need to try this recipe for vegan Pretzel Wrapped Dogs with “Honey” Mustard Sauce!!
Why this recipe rocks:
Only have to make the dough!
Non vegan approved
Perf for entertaining
Sauce is superb!
Eat Drink Shrink
1 hr, 20 Prep Time
12 minCook Time
1 hr, 32 Total Time
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 c bread flour.
- 1 1/2 tbsp of sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoon of active dry yeast
- 2/3 cup of warm water
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 9 cups water
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1 package vegan hot dogs
- Kosher Salt
- 2 tbsp melted vegan butter
- 1/3 cup vegan mayo
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp agave or maple syrup
- In large bowl, add 2/3 cup warm water, sugar, and yeast.
- After 5 minutes, add the oil, bread flour, white flour and salt to the yeast mixture.
- Combine with hands until it forms a dough.
- Remove the dough from bowl, add a little bit of oil to coat the bowl and prevent sticking. Place the dough back in the bowl and cover with plastic wrap or a towel.
- Let proof for 1 hour.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and reak the dough into 4 sections and start shaping the dough. I make thin ropes and wrap 3 times around the hotdog sealing the ends. Or you can use even thinner ropes and wrap more than 3x.
- Preheat the oven to 425 Fahrenheit.
- In large pot, combine water and baking soda and bring it boil. After shaping the pretzels around the hot dogs, soak the pretzels one at a time foe 30 seconds. They should float to the top. Any more and they may have too much of a metallic taste.
- Immediately post soaking place pretzel on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper.
- Brush with melted vegan butter and sprinkle with with kosher salt. Bake for 12 minutes. Rotate mid bake.
- If you'd like to brown them more, turn oven on broil and bake for an additional 5 minutes. Be sure to watch them to prevent burning.
- Remove from oven, allow to slightly cool. Serve warm!
- Honey Mustard Sauce: Combine all the ingredients in a shallow dish. Serve with hot dogs.