Vegan Oven Baked Churros
I may have forgotten in the midst of social distancing, but today is Cinco De Mayo!! In the wake of my favorite holiday, I decided to whip up one of the most coveted recipes on eds, the vegan oven baked Churros! While churros are typically fried, you can make a fab churro just by baking. If you’re not familiar with churros, don’t be alarmed. I fell into the category as “I’ve never had one”, until I went to Disney World 5 years ago lol. I honestly only saw churros on menus at Mexican restaurants and I typically never order desserts. Needless to say I had never tried them, but boy was I missing out!
What I love about this recipe is that it’s quick, easy, cheap, involves a handful of accessible ingredients, features not even a vegan egg, pairs perfectly with these sauces, it’s nostalgic for many, baked not fried, can easily be made in bulk, perf for entertaining, perf for Cinco de Mayo, and non vegan approved!
If you’re looking for a quick and easy concept that will make you look like an iron chef, you have to try my recipe for vegan Oven Baked Churros!
Love me some vegan Oven Baked Churros! http://18.104.22.168/~eat234abr/4th-of-july/vegan-churros Click To Tweet
Why this recipe is great:
Baked not fried
Non vegan approved
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 8 large, 12 small
10 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
5 based on 2 review(s)
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/2 cup Lily's Sweet stevia sweetened dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- Coconut Caramel:
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 6 tbsp vegan butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a pan add water, coconut oil, sugar and salt. Mix together until coconut oil melts and water boils.
- Turn off heat when water boils and add flour. Mix until you get a dough. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Combine the cinnamon and sugar in a loaf pan.
- Add the cooled dough to a pastry bag. Create 7inch long churros. Cut the ends off with a knife.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes turning midway for an even bake. If you feel they are still not cooked thru. Turn off the oven and allow them to further dry out by sitting in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Once baked allow to cool, brush with melted vegan butter and dip into the pant with the cinnamon and sugar to coat.
- To make the ganache combine the chips and coconut oil and microwave for 1 minute stirring every 15 seconds to prevent the chocolate from burning.
- To make the caramel sauce add all the ingredients to a pan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes until reduced slightly by half and golden. Will thicken even more once removed from heat.