Vegan Chili Cheese Nachos
Game day is just around the corner, so I knew I had to whip up some fun concepts! Believe it or not, I didn’t have anything but various dips and no nachos! Perhaps that’s because nachos can be chips and just a variety of salsa and toppings making a recipe not warranted. However, I wanted to do a nacho concept that had a lil bit more going on, but even more veggies and flavor..
and the vegan Chili Cheese Nachos were born!!
What’s great about nachos is that it’s surprisingly one of the best mediums to pack on the veggies. In addition to them being a great opportunity to make them nutrient packed, they are also so easy and can be made in bulk, making them great for entertaining!
What’s fab about this recipe, is everything! It’s my staple chili recipe that you can enjoy even by itself, my staple nacho cheese dip that goes with everything, packed with plant protein, packed with flavor, notes of heat, features grilled corn, you can add faux meat crumbles if you desire, is perfect for any season, affordable, and is just a crowd pleaser!
If you love all things nachos or just great modern vegan concepts, you’re going to love my staple vegan Chili Cheese Nachos!!
Why this recipe is great:
Great for entertaining
Cheese can be used for other dishes
Chili can be enjoyed by itself!
Eat Drink Shrink
20 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 1/2 large white onion (diced)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp vegan Worcestershire
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1/2 large can organic crushed tomatoes, 28oz
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 large carrot (fork tender)
- 1 small potato (fork tender)
- 1/2 cup cashews (soaked for at least 2hrs in hot water)
- 2 tbsps nutritional yeast1 tbs vegan Worcestershire
- 1/2 tsp cumin1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder1 tsp onion powder
- 1 chili in adobo sauce
- 1/2 tbsp hot sauce (optional)
- 1/2 squeeze lime
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- salt/pepper as desired
- 1/2 cup pickled jalapeños
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 lime, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream
- Tortilla chips as needed
- 1 Bag Whole Foods Frozen Grilled Corn, defrosted
- In a large pot over medium heat cook the garlic with olive oil and until fragrant. (2 minutes)
- Add the diced onions, red bell pepper, adobo peppers, liquid smoke, vegan Worcestershire, cumin and chili powder and cook for an additional 5 minutes until onions are slightly browned.
- Rinse all of the beans and add them to the pot with the crushed tomatoes, and broth.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Cook for 10 minutes to let the flavors blend and allow it to thicken.
- For the best flavor, let the chili simmer on low for a few hours.
- If you haven't soaked the cashews for a long time, add them to the blender first with a little almond milk. Blend until smooth.
- If not simply add everything in and blend until smooth. For a more vibrant orange simply add an additional fork tender carrot. To monitor the heat factor you can add 1/2 the adobo pepper and blend.
- Add more almond milk a little at a time to achieve the desired consistency if yours is too thick.
- Top with the garnishes. Store in the fridge if not enjoying. pop in the microwave to enjoy warm! (be sure to stir occasionally to prevent it from drying out)
- To assemble lay out all the chips then top with chili, grilled corn, avocado, vegan sour cream, nacho cheese, limes, cilantro and red onion!
*You'll have leftover chili and nacho cheese to make another sheet if desired
*Use 4 cups of broth and a whole can (28oz) to make chili to be enjoyed solo
*Add faux beef crumbles if desired