- 2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned into measuring cup and leveled-off
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons can sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons cold vegan butter
- 3/4 cup almond milk with 1 tbsp vinegar (vegan buttermilk)
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar (optional)
- 1 carton strawberries, hulled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1/2 squeeze lemon juice
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 2 Cans full fat coconut milk (chilled, solid portion only)
- 1/3 cup organic powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- FOR THE BISCUITS: Preheat the oven to 425°F and set an oven rack in the middle position. Line a 13×18-inbaking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt.
- Add the pieces of cold vegan butter. Use your fingertips to rub the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs with pea-sized clumps of butter within. Add the vegan “buttermilk: and stir with a rubber spatula until the dough comes together into a sticky, shaggy mass. Do not overmix.
- With lightly floured hands, form the dough into 8 craggy-looking balls and place on the prepared baking sheet. (They should be bigger than golf balls but smaller than tennis balls.) Don’t worry about making them perfect — it’s better if they are a little rough around the edges. Sprinkle the tops with the turbinado sugar. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, until the biscuits are golden.
- FOR THE STRAWBERRIES: Place the sliced strawberries in a bowl, top with sugar and lemon juice, combine and allow to sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes.
- TO ASSEMBLE: Using a serrated knife, split the biscuits in half horizontally and transfer the bottoms to 8 dessert plates. Spoon about three-quarters of the sliced berries and their juice evenly over the biscuit bottoms. Let some of the berries spill out onto the plate. Top with a generous dollop of coconut whipped cream and cover each with a biscuit top. Spoon more berries and cream over each shortcake and serve immediately.
- For the Whipped cream: Add the ingredients to the bowl of a standing mixer. Be sure to add the solid coconut only. Beat until light and whipped. Cover and place in the fridge to chill until ready to serve.
Recipe will produce 8 biscuits
- Category: Shortcake
- Cuisine: Dessert
- Serving Size: 1